John Stossel’s uses examples to make the point that we are losing our freedom. “Something’s happened to America, and it isn’t good. It’s become easier to get into trouble. We’ve become a nation of a million rules. Not the kind of bottom-up rules that people generate through voluntary associations. Those are fine. I mean imposed, top-down rules formed in the brains of meddling bureaucrats who think they know better than we how to manage our lives.” Here are some of his examples:
- 5 year old boys suspended from kindergarten for three days when one said “Boom! I have a bazooka, and I want to shoot you.”
- 12 year old arrested and handcuffed for eating a french fry in the D.C. Metrorail station.
- University finds a student guilty of racial harassment for reading “Notre Dame Versus the Klan: How the Fighting Irish Defeated the Ku Klux Klan”
- a grandmother is arrested for refusing to trim her hedges
- high school student arrested and charged with a felony when school officials saw a common kitchen butter knife on the floor of her car.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.