Sign On San Diego:  “Students were evacuated from Millennial Tech Magnet Middle School in the Chollas View neighborhood Friday afternoon after an 11-year-old student brought a personal science project that he had been making at home to school, authorities said.  Maurice Luque, spokesman for the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department, said the student had been making the device in his home garage. A vice principal saw the student showing it to other students at school about 11:40 a.m. Friday and was concerned that it might be harmful, and San Diego police were notified.”

The science project was an empty half-litter Gatorade bottle with wires coming out of it that were attached to electrical components.  The student said his science project was a motion detector.  Authorities recommend that the student and his parents get counseling.

See “Schools Have Rules: Better Safe Than Sorry Edition.”